I'm going to take my two roommates and myself for an example.
- Senior, Electrical Engineering. High Honors
- Job 1: Research Assistant
- Job 2: Grading papers
- Extracurriculars: CFO of the business office for a national corporation, Emeritus President and Conference Programming Chair for an honor society, active member of another honor society, volunteer for new student programs
- Other time consuming things: Independent research project, senior design project
- Junior, Civil Engineering
- Job: Front desk worker, local fitness center
- Extracurriculars: Director of business office for national corporation, Newsletter and Housing Chair for regional conference, professional society
- Other time consuming things: Volleyball on a weekly basis, boyfriend
- Senior, Mechanical Engineering. Honors
- Job: TA for sophomore lab
- Extracurriculars: President of honor society, member of another
- Other time consuming things: getting surgeries
Hearing about college students who get to kick back and have mommy and daddy buy everything irritates no one more than those of us working jobs, going to school, and attempting extracurriculars that don't involve a beer bong. Splurging for us is splitting an Applebee's half priced appetizer or chipping in gas money (with our parents) to go home.
This entry is directed at those students who are cruising by on someone else's goodwill: You're pissing off those of us who work. You don't have to stop partying. You don't have to get a job. (Lord knows that there's enough McDonald's employees in the world.) Just keep your head down and please, don't complain about a five page reading assignment 'totally wrecking your plans to go drink tonight'. The maliciousness that you inspire in the professor gets spit out on the rest of us.
And to that prof: Don't give up. There ARE responsible young adults in the world. We're just too busy working to whine to you about the length of the homework.