Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Atonement

#50 from this post is complete.

I wanted to start off my reading endeavors with something lighter than Dickens and in stock at my local library.

The Plot: A girl accuses her sister's (secret) lover of trying to rape her cousin and is very sorry about it (eventually). She (maybe) tries to make ammends.

The Good: The concept behind the plot and the perspective through which it is explored is cleverly done. The twist in the epilogue is interesting, to say the least.

The Bad: The book loses momentum in the middle, as (ironically) the author seems to have far more connection with the portions narrated by his female characters.

The Verdict: A good book, but not a story that I imagine translates well into film. I won't be seeing the movie. 2.5/5 stars

Next up: Dune (#52) by Frank Herbert

No comments: